Before the thundering Boeings and Airbuses hit the skies and made the world a smaller place, ships were the primary source for not only transportation, but also exploration and fighting wars. The exact history of boats is difficult to pinpoint, but the Noah's Ark can be cited as an example of how long ago they exist.
Famous ships can be broadly categorized on the basis of historical significance, war participation, and catastrophic shipwrecks. From an American history point of view, the Mayflower is said to be the most significant, since it bought the "Pilgrims" to Plymouth, starting from Southampton, England, in 1620. Another famous ship was the Spanish ship Amistad, which had on board 53 slaves, who revolted and killed their captors on July 2, 1839. The ship's navigator was spared so he could take the ship to Africa, but the ship arrived Long Island, New York instead. The slaves were acquitted after several trials and allowed a passage home to Africa.
The mighty Bismarck was the most powerful Nazi warship, which after being spotted by a reconnaissance aircraft, was engaged by the Prince of Wales and Hood. It sank the Hood in a matter of minutes and then escaped into the ocean, where it took a day and night of shelling by the three British ships, George V, the Rodney, and the Dorsetshire, to sink the German pride and joy. The latest famous ships include the Nimitz class nuclear powered aircraft carriers such as USS Truman that participated in the Iraq War and Hurricane Katrina relief.
From an infamous shipwreck point-of-view, the "unsinkable" Titanic preceded all, which when sank on April 15,1912, and had only 705 survivors out of the total 2227 people on board. However, few remember the sinking of the steamship Sultana on April 27, 1865, which left 1500 dead. The worst iron was that it had hundreds of Union POWs returning home after the Civil War, on a ship that had no lifeboats or life jackets.
An interesting discussion on LinkedIn is swirling around the topic of when a writer can call themselves a writer .. As I've watched the discussion unfold, some interesting ideas have cropped up. They are worth considering.
A writer is someone who has been published offline.
Considering that a large segment of the writing work available is almost exclusively online today, this definition just can not hold true. While it is almost guaranteed that someone who has broken into hard print is a very good writer, it does not preclude someone who has never had their work published in traditional media from being considered a writer.
A writer is someone who knows their grammar, punctuation rules and how to spell things correctly.
I'm not prepared to say this is true because I know that publishers, magazines and newspapers all hire copy editors for one very good reason. Not every writer on the team has good spelling skills. No writer's punctuation skills are perfect. And everyone has certain words they almost always type incorrectly. I've been a copy editor. It's always easier to see others mistakes.
For me, I have to watch dropping the "r" on your, adding a "d" in college and several other persistent misspellings. There are words I consistently add extra letters to and others I drop letters from almost every time I type them. And most of the time, they are words, so spell check does not catch them.
At the same time, if a writer can not tell the difference between when to use your and you're or its and it's, it will be an obstacle to achieving a higher pays scale. Excellence in every aspect of writing is essential if you want to be taken seriously.
A writer is a professional who makes a consistent income from writing.
This can be true. The definition of consistent may vary. I know that I began by approaching only a few hundred dollars a month from writing work. I had some months where I had no income from that source. At the same time, I was consistently seeking work. As a writing professional I took action.
I actively built my portfolio.
I built a free website on Office Live.
I focused on bridging the gap from when I studied journalism to what the market demands of writers today.
I applied every piece of knowledge I gained into strengthening my ability to write compelling materials.
To put the title "writer" on a resume, suggest you need to be more than someone who has started their own blog. Despite the fact that I have a ghostwriting tips blog, it is not this blog that makes me a writer. It's the fact that people read this blog and actually benefit from it that supports my claim that I am a writer.
A writer is someone who can explain different topics in language that the average person can understand.
This truly is a skill that not everyone possesses. In some ways, every writer needs to have a teacher's heart, the ability to break things down into understandable packages. Some writers are gifted with the ability to reach very young minds. That's why there are writers of children's books. Other writers just can not get down to that level, yet remain effective writers for a different audience.
A writer is more than someone who starts their own blog.
There are good blogs and so-so blogs. To truly claim to be a writer, the blog can not be riddled with grammar errors. A few spelling and punctuation errors are forgivable, especially as most blog writers can not afford a separate set of eyes to edit their work.
A writer is someone who crafts words to influence others.
It's the power to dig into the meaning of words and craft them as you have done that signifies a writer. The fact that you can express your arguments succinctly using words in their written form defines that you are a writer. Maybe that is the definition we should be holding to here. "A writer is someone who can write with words so effectively they can influence others whether they do it for pay or not."
It's not whether your work appears on the eviscerated remnants of a tree or on the electronic representation of a page that makes you a writer. It's whether your words move and / or motivate. A novelist may move through the creation of characters and plots. A web writer may motivate to action by carefully chosen words.
Both are writers. Both use their power over words to create an experience in the mind. That experience would not be there without the writer's ability to craft words.
What makes a writer a writer? We'll probably never be able to agree on a single definition. Too may people would disagree with the writer's version of the artist's definition, "A writer is a writer because he / she writes."
Celebrities come and go. They can either stay for a couple of years, but some fail to carve a niche in the entertainment industry and remain a starlet. Some are successful and become iconic in the music scene, television and movies.
You might be wondering why some of them have disappeared in the industry. If you observe their stellar status, the luckiest are those who share common characteristics that made them rich and famous.
Take a peek at the 8 common characteristics famous celebrities have in common. Find out if you have any of these traits that can be helpful in your chosen profession.
1. Strong determination and confidence. Celebrities are confident and determined to pursue their goal no matter what happens. They are the kind of people who do not care about what others say when they pose nude in a men’s magazine or wear a bizarre outfit. Getting out of poverty and to become famous are two things that prodded them to try their luck in Hollywood hoping that they could find the right people to help them in their budding career.
2. Their work ethic is infectious. Actors and singers are deprived of sleep as they have to stay awake until the following day to finish their commitment. They work hard not only because they know that they are highly compensated for their efforts, but because they want to leave a legacy when they are no longer active in the industry. Highest paid actors only spend 2 to 3 hours of sleep until their project is finished. But the prices they get from being workaholics can buy them a new house, a car, a set of jewelry and a swanky bag.
3. They work for the sake of art. Multi-awarded actors are choosy in their roles despite the high talent fee that they could receive for a particular project. Top caliber actors who have become financially stable would pick meaty roles that could earn them an Oscar award. They don’t mind if they have to go bald or topless for as long as the role will increase their level of creativity and transform them into a respected actor. Some celebrities accept roles that are challenging even if they don’t share the same billing stature with the main actors.
4. They are creative and unique. Famous Hollywood personalities defy the standard and social norms. They never stop creating and reinventing themselves to enable them to catch the public’s attention. Miley Cyrus, Madonna, J Lo, Michael Jackson and to name a few, had their own strings of gimmickry and controversy to promote their albums or movies. Even local artist in some key cities in the world do the same thing even if it could ruin their reputation and make them infamous. Defying the norm and ignoring their bashers is the best action that celebrities must do to succeed in their showbiz career. Gossips are part of showbiz and welcoming them with an open heart can make them stronger and better celebrities.
5. They think, believe and dream big. True artists think that there is no small role for them. Budding actors must heed what their veteran counterparts say that in order for them to be recognized and earn big, they should accept any role that can hone their acting prowess. Since the competition in the world of showbiz has become stiff, they must grab every opportunity that comes their way. Not unless they are products of reality shows or beauty contests, penetrating the entertainment industry is a bit hard. Changing their mindset from small to big things will inspire them to strive hard and make it big in showbiz.
6. They have a high emotional quotient. Although beauty and talent are important things to consider when discovering a new talent, movie directors and producers would prefer actors with a good work attitude. Celebrities who are acting like divas will most likely to lose their chance of getting the right break because their attitude can cause a lot of problems during location shooting. High EQ celebrities come to work before call time and they do not cause glitches or delay at work. They can mingle with anyone in the set from the director to the janitor. They can laugh at their own mistakes and can exchange jokes with their fellow workers, even if they have been sleepless for several nights. Most of all, they welcome strangers and mobbing fans for autograph and photo ops.
7. They enjoy every bit of their work. Become passionate about your work as an artist in the real sense of the word will give you more inspiration to hone your craft. Celebrities who are enjoying their career are the one who will become successful as they do not get discouraged when failure comes in one point of their lives.
8. Money and fame are only secondary. These two things that can lead to frustration if celebrities are unable to achieve them. Some famous celebrities who are getting less projects and their fans are ignoring them have become depressed and suicidal. This is because they think that money and fame are the most important things in life. But the truth is, any career that is taken with passion can be a great source of your finances if you know how to save your money.
Celebrities who have lost their careers because of their bad attitude have realized that becoming famous and wealthy does not happen overnight. They have to learn the traits that could propel their popularity and eventually land them a lot of projects.
Aspiring actors/actresses who are given the break should realize that the competition is so high in the industry. A single flaw is observed from you could put you down and it would be too late to realize that a newcomer will soon replace your position in showbiz. Getting rich quick is a mere fantasy as you need to start from scratch, and when you are already at the top of your success, remain humble and grounded.
Moulin Rouge was opened by Joseph Oller and Charles Zidler back in 1889. During that time Paris was the hub of creativity and the city was going through the phase people call “one of the best times in Paris”. It is believed that Moulin Rouge was the place where cabaret originated. This seductive dance was done by the show girls who used to live and perform in Moulin Rouge. The interiors of the establishment boast of huge floor to wall mirrors, expensive chandeliers, plush carpets, huge floor for dancing and spectacular showgirls. The environment inside the establishment becomes totally electrifying and ecstatic when the show is on. Even in these digital times Moulin Rouge receives a footfall of 1000 guests per night.
Lido de Paris… the Classier Moulin Rouge
Lido de Paris is probably the most famous establishment after Moulin Rouge. It is situated at Champs-Elysees, one of the most attractive neighborhoods in Paris, particularly in the night. Lido is famous for its dance and musical shows. Every night, it hosts shows where showgirls are dressed up in the most exotic and exquisite costumes. The interior of Lido is also very extravagant and posh, adorned with bright colors and old world decor. The lighting and the sound effects are captivating. The stage and set changes almost about 60 times right in front of the audiences! The oval shape of the hall ensures that everyone has a good view. They also have shows where kids are allowed, but expect nudity in them too, though they don’t look vulgar. Earlier Lido used to be a black tie event but these days they allow you in without it. But they are particular about dressing so dump your denims for the night at Lido.
Au Lapin Agile… The Nimble Rabbit
Adult entertainment just does not cease in romantic Paris! Au Lapin Agile is another vintage joint for cabaret. Many famous people were regular visitors here and we are talking about the likes of Toulouse-Latrec, Modigliani, Utrillo and Picasso. The translation of the name Au Lapin Agile means the nimble rabbit which got its name from a painting where a rabbit is jumping out of a heated pan. During 1905 Pablo Picasso painted a picture which helped in the publicity of the establishment. The name of the painting was ‘At the Lapin Agile’. Well if Adult Activities in Paris are on your mind, then just step in! Did we mention that this place still retains the evidence of eccentric characters of Paris who visited here? They are there in form of names carved in the wooden tables and they did it themselves!
Paradis Latin… Napoleon’s Personal Theatre of Dance
Now we are on to the next Cabaret haunt which is also one of the oldest in the Latin Quarter, so located centrally. Here you would find the shows very intriguing as most of the male and female artists perform completely naked. However the dancing and artistic references are not always filled with sexual innuendos, it is more like an adult circus. Quite a Cool thing to see In Paris for Adults! Paradis Latin was built in 1803 under the command of Napoleon Bonaparte. Famous writers like Alexandre Dumas and Balzac were frequent visitors to this place.
Crazy Horse Cabaret… Go Crazy with the Tease
There are cabarets in Paris where you can see stage performances by naked dancers, moving and swaying their body in a classy yet seductive manner nad crazy horse is one of them. The iconic Crazy Horse was opened for the public in 1951. These dances are indeed provocative yet this is one of the most sophisticated cabaret clubs in Paris and well reputed too. Famous celebrities like Pamela Anderson and Dita von Teese have also performed on the dance floor of the Crazy Horse.
Cesar Palace Cabaret
If you want a taste of Paris nightlife then look no beyond the César Palace Cabaret that not only packs some sensual cabaret moves but also mind boggling acrobatic maneuvers. Traditional cancan girls dressed up elegantly perform in the shows here. And that is not all… they top up the wonderment with some super sumptuous three course french meal as well! They host the two hour show that does not let you blink your eyes. Talk of tantalizing, think of César Palace Cabaret!
Tell us you are breathless! Well we have surely given you some extra reasons to make Paris your next destination. I mean romance is passé’, it is time to get naughty!
And just like we had promised, let us take you to the next section that is going to be even more sinful, but in a different way- the French food!
Laudrey Pastry shop… the best macaroons in the entire Paris
Laduree is a famous pastry shop which is famous for selling one of the tastiest and vibrant coloured macaroons in Paris. Yep we are talking Paris Desserts here! Back in 1862, Louis Ernest Ladurée had established this small time bakery; sadly the bakery got gutted due to fire after 9 years. It was erected again but this time the shop was full time Pastry shop. Later on a tea shop was also made next to the Laduree store and now if you visit you would be able to enjoy the wonders of both of the stores.
Berthilon.. The Sweet Lovers’ Paradise
Paris is heaven for food lovers but we all know that. The trick is to find the best amongst the best. This is why best way to travel Paris is on foot where you will find a food store or a restaurant within every two steps of your journey. The most well known and famous ice cream parlor and sorbet shop the Berthilon is a treat for all the people who love like it sweet and chilled. This place was opened in 1954. This ice cream parlor serves more than 70 flavors and people swear by the aroma when you step inside the shop. Make sure that you definitely taste the strawberry sorbet here. Berthilon is definitely one of the best places to eat in Paris.
58 Tour Eiffel Tower… offering a larger than life experience
When you are in Paris, going and experiencing the 58 Tour Eiffel Tower has to be on your things to do in Paris. This is a restaurant situated on the first floor of the Eiffel tower. When you sit inside you get a lovely and “as-far-as the eye goes” panoramic view of Trocadero part of the city. The other side of the restaurant shows the interiors of the Eiffel tower’s mesh work. The restaurant serves typical French brasserie food. The restaurant offers a 2 to 3 course style food picnic for lunch. During the evening you can experience the traditional French cuisine inside the restaurant with the lights dimmed and grand view of the city lights coming alive in a distance.
Le Ombres Restaurant… Experience the Fusion of Flavours
If exploring Paris Food Culture is on your wish list then there is no way you can miss Le Ombres Restaurant. This restaurant is famous for its architecture, the beautiful view of Eiffel Tower and the special menu set by Chef Jean-François Oyon, a two starrer Michelin chef. He was announced as the Chef of the year by Le Chef Magazine. So it goes without saying that the food quality in this restaurant is really good and it serves traditional French cuisine with exquisite flavors and ingredients, served like an art on the plate. We bet you can’t have enough of it!
Latelier-des-Chefs-Cooking-School… Go a little French!
LAtelier-des- Chefs-Cooking- School is a famous cooking school in Paris, with its branches in around 14 locations located all over France. Six of the cooking schools are situated in Paris. Guinea fowl with baby gem, peas, mustard and ratte potatoes is a fowl breast recipe that is served with green salad is one of the most loved dishes taught in the school. The other popular delicacies are lamb with minted crushed potatoes, broad beans and wild mushroom sauce, and roasted lamb with fennel puree and potatoes. The chief agenda behind establishing the school was to motivate French students to take up the art of cooking as a career. Recently it has also opened its doors to visitors of different nationalities to learn French style cooking.
How to reach
Paris is very well connected by air from all the major cities in the world.
Where to stay in Paris
Paris has an amazing array of options when it comes to accommodation. Here are our top picks across the budget spectrum, so whether you are on a tight budget or looking for luxurious indulgence we have it all here.Or you many simply type Paris in the nice little hotel search box given here for a complete list of hotels.
So this was the seductive and sinful Paris tour. So what are you waiting for, pack your bag and indulge in some naughty pleasures of life!